[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors and meteorology - some more about meteorology

> So, one question comes to me which I haven't got their meaning for two
> friends that are demanding me answers about them. Is the following: since
> both come from outer space, what is the difference that fits best for
> meteors and asteroides.

Remember that a meteor is the LIGHT phenomenon in the atmosphere.  The
question really is "What is the difference between a meteorOID and an
asteroid?".  It is all just a matter of definition and I don't know
if there is a formal definition.  If there is it is probably at around
1 metre diameter or less, but there is a continuum between the two.
Certainly sources differ; some asteroids are defunct comets and meteoroids
can be ejected from comets or from asteroidal collisions.