[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) [Viewing Leonids from] Saudi Arabia

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: David Smith [mailto:usadasmith@hotmail.com]
Aan: meteorobs (E-mail)
Onderwerp: (meteorobs) [Viewing Leonids from] Saudi Arabia

>I am a science teacher working at the British / Dutch School in Jeddah.

>I would like to take a group of students and colleges out into the
>Desert around the 19th November to watch the Leonids and maybe collect
>some data.

>1) Is there any point in this as the 'peaks' seem to be over US/Europe.

If the prediction of the first (European) peak is correct, you will certainly be able to see the rates go up just before sunrise, but the acual peak will be just after sunrise. Both the ZHR and the radiant altitude will be increasing at that time, which is good. But also, the sky will get noticably bright which is not good. So, it will be a close call, if the peak will be a little later than predicted your skies will be less dark, reducing the number of meteors you can see.

There are some other things to consider:

- the number of visible meteors will probably be higher than usual all night long. I don't know how much higher, but should the activity match that of the Geminids or Perseids it's already something that can be enjoyed by the general public. Maybe someone on the list can give an estimate of the overal activity around the peaks.

- the European peak is expected to produce bright fireballs, as a result you might be able to see meteors in daylight, around sunrise on November 19.

- some years ago there was a totally unexpected fireball peak over Europe. Though by now this has been explained and no such thing is expected to reoccur, who knows what other surprises are in store, who knows what the Taurids will produce...

>2) Which area of the sky should we watch?

The basic answer is: it doesn't matter. And this is right as far as the number of meteors goes. But since there is a bright full moon in the sky, the best thing you can do is look away from it. Ideally you should find a location where the moon will be behind a building but you still have an unobstructed view of the sky in the opposite direction. As twilight approaches this may change. So just look for/at the darkest area of the sky.

>3) Which date would be the best to go?

Definitely the early moring hours of November 19. If not for the full moon, the mornings of November 17 and 18 would have been an excellent opportunity to watch (and compare) the regular Leonids peak. And eventhough the moon will set before twilight on those dates I would not recommend those dates for teh general public. So: November 19, from abut 1 in the morning till an hour after sunrise.

Yours,

Daniel van Os
http://home.hetnetdot nl/~leoniden/ (Mostly Dutch)
----------------------- DISCLAIMER --------------------------
De informatie verzonden met dit e-mail bericht (en bijlagen) is
vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of verstrekking
aan derden is niet toegestaan. Gebruik van deze informatie door
anderen dan de geadresseerde(n) is verboden.Ook kunnen aan deze
informatie geen rechten worden ontleend. U wordt verzocht bij
onjuiste adressering de afzender direct te informeren door het
bericht te retourneren.

The information sent by means of this e-mail message (and any of
its attachments) is confidential and intended exclusively for the
addressee(s). Publication, duplication, distribution and/or
forwarding to third parties of this message is not allowed.
Use of this information by other persons than the intended
recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.
the sender immediately by returning it.

by MailMarshal
For more information please visit www.marshalsoftware.com