[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Whatever happened to 'r'? (Brightness predictions for Leonids)

Elaborating slightly more.  One dust trail could have r~3 for
meteors in the range +1 to +6, but an r significantly smaller than this
at fainter and brighter mags.  Another trail might have r~2 in the range
-2 to +3 and significantly smaller for brighter and fainter meteors.
In this example, the trail with the lower r could produce more visible
meteors in full moon skies.  I'm not saying this represents actual
dust trails, these are just arbitrary examples, but if r is a function of
mag (which everyone would agree it will be to *some* extent) it is necessary
to have rather more info than just the visually derived r values, to
fully predict activity.