[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) WHAT TO RECORD (Re: Leonid meteors on 18/19 Nov (Mon night/Tue morning)

on 10/28/02 5:35 PM, Lew Gramer at lew@upstreamdot net wrote:

> Joseph Rothchild of the ATMs of Boston asks:
>> I will again be trying to do some counts of the Leonids
>> this year.  Last time I did 10 minute intervals.  Could
>> you let me know again what other information I need to
>> gather for it to be useful data?

Dr. Peter Jenniskens of the SETI Institute is coordinating a number of
efforts, one of which is a study of possible fine structure in the Leonid
stream. Part of this study would utilize data from a great many observers
scattered over North America. In order for this data to be useful, we need
really good time resolution. The absolute minimum would be one minute
resolution. Even better would be to provide times of fall of each Leonid
with one second resolution. This could be accomplished by simply audiotaping
your observations, with occasional time marks. You'd need to have accurate
timing, so you'd need a clock set recently by a good time standard. The next
morning, you could reduce the data by simply listening to the tape while
noting times on a piece of paper. Failing in that, you could simply send the
audiotape to Dr. Jenniskens and we can reduce it.

Chris Crawford

Follow-Ups: References: