[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Whatever happened to 'r'? (Brightness predictions for Leonids)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Lyytinen Esko wrote:
> According to a quick comparison with the 2001 r-values, I would expect
> the (visually derived) population index of the 4-rev (during maximum) to
> be about 2.5 and that of the 7-rev encounter about 2.2.

The problem with the r-value of the 4-rev in 2001 is that the 9-rev was also
active.  To determine the r-value for the 4-rev one must have a reasonable
idea of both the r-value of the 9-rev trail AND it's activity.  With the
assumptions that must be made, it seemed more reasonable to simply
state that the 7-rev should have a lower r-value.  Note Uchiyama's
excellent analysis in attempting separation of the 4-rev and 9-rev trails
in 2001.  The observed peak in the overall activity curve was a combination
of BOTH these trails, and the ZHR for the 4-rev was rather lower by
itself.

Cheers, Rob