[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteoroid heating: Ram pressure, friction or both?

 May we entertain the theory that many meteors illuminate our skies in much
the same fashion as good old lightning. Think about it, calculations as to
how much visible energy can be released due to heating of a spec of dust no
bigger than that of the head of a straight pin frequently don't match up
with how much light is actually emitted. Can heat alone really cause a rock
to burn brighter than our sun. Electrical discharges are among the brightest
visible energy sources in the universe.
  This certainly is not to say heat is not involved, but is it heat ALONE?
Regards,
Jim Gamble
El Paso, Tx Station-Sandia Meteor Detection Network
All Sky Camera System
31.47N 106.18W
gamble@peoplepc.com
http://www.geocities.com/desert_lights