[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids in southern France

Yann,

> Any observers familiar with 'typical' weatherpatterns in that area?
> Maybe websites that handle last minute advisories?
> Any observers using the south of france as their observing site?

I live near Valence, half way between Lyon and Marseille.
The weather is generally good around Mediterranée from Perpignan to Orange
and Nice. In winter the winds (called Mistral)comes from nord in the Rhone
Valley, and easily clear the sky from Montpellier to Aix en Provence. In
1999 and 2000, Provence proved to be almost the only right spots in France
with very clear sky, despite some storms over most of the country. You
should go to Plateau d'Albion, which is about 1000 above sea level, a few
dozen km east of Mont Ventoux. Light pollution is very low (there is a
private observatory with a 1 meter telescope : sirene ).
More, you should be able to find a good spot with moon hidden by Mont
Ventoux in this area.

Christophe

Follow-Ups: References: