[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) A Question of Direction (About Meteors!)

November 1, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

First, I would like to apologize for never sending
reports to all of you of some meteor hunts I conducted
and spoke about months ago (including my Perseid
report!)  I had been extremely busy at our fruit stand
that to take time out to complete meteor reports
seemed impractical (especially when I am so slow at
it, unfortunately.)  Who knows, I may still get to
them some day as they are still on tape.

But now, turning to the brighter side, I just did a
meteor hunt (Oct. 28/29) to help me break into the
fall meteor hunting season.  In fact, I am almost
done typing up a report for those observations, in the
"NAMN" style.   I can't promise, but I am trying to
get it completed soon and posted to meteorobs.

However, a point has been reached where I have come
across a fundamental question that I have overlooked
in the past.

In Mr. Robert Lunsford's invaluable meteor activity
outlooks, he describes where a given active radiant
is, not only by coordinates, but often by a direction
from a nearby star.  My question stems from my feeble
efforts to record the apparent directions of the
meteors I see.   In the past, I have been trying to
record them with magnetic north directions, which just
so happens to be very close to true north readings for
my location!   However, what kind of directions is Mr.
Lunsford using and should I be using them?   This is
where some enlightenment and tips would be great, not
only for myself, but also for any meteor observer who
tries to record the apparent directions of meteors.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Long, slow, bright, and noisy fireballs!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA