[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) possible light scattering form meteor trails?

Title: Viesti
Hi,

This thinking was originally based on an email in either meteorobs or
IMO-email group, maybe about a year ago. I recall it was from some experienced
meteor observer, but sorry, don't remember from who. I tried to locate the
original email, but didn't succeed.

As I recall, he told as his impression that meteor trails in moonlight will
be better visible than otherwise. Probably he meant the persistent trails.
If someone recognizes himself as having written on this, maybe he can repeat
it.

I was starting to think that if the moonlight brightens the trail more than
the background sky, then (if the conditions up over 100 km, can be
considered similar enough), also the Sun would brighten a daylight trail
more than the sky, resulting the trail visibility even in full daylight.
This is why (there has not been many reported daylight trails, except with
very bright daylight meteors) I am considering this suspicious, even though
of course I believe the personal impression. Maybe there has been some
special trails that would have been very well visible even in black sky .

In any case, the coming Leonids may give a good change to make observations
on this. Even though almost everybody will hide the Moon as much as
possible, it may be worth (for people possibly interested on this) to try
to observe trails that pass close to the Moon, if there might be any forward
scatter phenomena. Video or camera observations would be good for this. We
suggested this kind of observations (with Markku Nissinen) in our Finnish
email-group.

Esko