[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Whence the Taurids? (was Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Activity Outlook for November 8-14, 2002)

Hi Michel,

It's interesting that you bring this up.  In fact, along with the
Geminids and Ursids of 1988, and the 1991 Perseids, the Taurids are
among the showers that greatly contributed to my sky-rocketing
interest for meteors!

I was 15 years old back then, but I have vivid memories of the
Taurids of 1991.  On November 2 of that year, I was a bit
disappointed from the early evening clouds. Later on, the sky cleared
and almost immediately I witnessed a casual mag -3 Taurid from a
bedroom window.  It was slow moving, white and graceful.  In my
excitement, I scrambled outside in my suburban backyard to lie-down
on a snow bank and watch.  Two more Taurids were seen in about 20
minutes.  One of them included a slow, exploding Taurid (at least mag
-5) that lit up the sky near the zenith.  I was so excited I had
completely forgot about my numb fingers from the cold. I also forgot
all about my homework, and I was very tired at school the next day!

Clear skies,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario