[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Taurids this NOV 2002 apparition so far notes & misc.

Have been out the last three nites in KS watching the Taurids, too.

Indiv. nite reports will follow over the weekend, but following bits
of info. are interesting -

About 4:20 ob. time, activity has been good, for the Taurids.
Northern branch most active.  Nothing over -1, but I believe
a couple of those and a couple 0's and +1's too.

Two late Orionids, and have seen two Leonids as well already,
both +3.

Of particular note - have seen TWO Andromedids as well.  I know
this might seem a bit early, but the drift since the early 50's has
been to earlier dates for them pairs well with the slower than Taurid
meteors I have seen, both running down S thru W Aries around 12-1AM
local time.  One each Wed. and Fri. AM (Nov. 5/6 & 7/8).

Both Saturn and Jupiter have tended to be bothersome for me visually
the last few eve.s, with their added glare in add. to the winter
constellations.

Maybe Norman could jump in here and update us on the Taurid bright
year cycle, I know it don't seem to be this one here.  With the approach
again of Encke next Oct. 2003 will (is it 4 yr. cycle on brighter Taurids?)
next year be the upswing year?  Moonless late Oct. and very early Nov.
bodes well again for Taurids 2003.

Reports for Nov. 5/6, 6/7, & 7/8 in this weekend.

Bert Matous
Overland Park KS
USA