[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Questions Concerning the Degrees of Meteor Paths

Mark,

          You ask the questions that any truly serious "newbie" should be
asking, IMHO, you sound serious and that's a good thing!

> If I remember right, on the NAMN web site for the benefit of new
observers, they mention that a fist held out at arms' length equals
approximately ten
> degrees.  With that said, are they referring to a fist with the thumb
hidden or with the thumb visible?

         The fist sans fingers should be 10 degrees, then for twenty degrees
extend both the thumb and "pinky" finger (or simply open your entire hand,
measuring from tip of thumb to tip of pinky).

          If (as I think you're interested in doing) you plan on measuring
angular velocity, something I avoid, then you really should consider getting
a star map out and measuring various points, then going out and custom
making a short length of "sky ruler."  You'll be a  bit more precise...I
believe Bob Lunsford. uses a 5-degree small metal bar.  I have a cord tied
to my tape recorder with 5-degree knotted intervals, with four knots, but
they aren't terribly precise.  I believe that suggestion came from George
Zay.

Kim Youmans