[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: North Apex and Leonid meteors

Paul and All,

The activity period for the Leonids has nothing to do with the Northern
Apex meteors. Unlike the Perseids of August, the Earth quickly passes
through the debris field of comet Temple-Tuttle in one week's time.

The center of the Northern Apex radiant lies approximately 10 degrees
from the Leonid radiant. If you look directly toward the Leonid radiant
you can see the difference between these two radiants. Otherwise, they
should all be called Leonids, at least on the night of maximum Leonid
activity.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford

Paul Martsching wrote:
> I take it that the reason the period of Leonid observation which is
> generally given is so short is the close proximity of the North Apex
> radiant with the Leonid radiant and the impossibility of visually
> differentiating  between meteors from the two radiants.  So apparently
> when the number of North Apex meteors obviously gets swamped by the
> number of Leonids we begin to count all meteors coming from this region
> as Leonids?  A situation something akin to that of the Taurids and the
> October - November Antihelion meteors.
>
> - Paul Martsching

Follow-Ups: References: