[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The Taurids--- A Favorite!

November 10, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

What a coincidence! ...Or is it?  The Taurids had been
a meteor hunting delight for me too in my earliest
days of serious observing.  They were and still are
practically the only meteor shower that I have been
able to eyeball on multiple nights without being
clouded out.  Their long duration activity and slow,
bright, "balls of light" make them a favorite to hunt
down.  Last year I was fortunate to spy a breathtaking
-3 mag. Taurid descend like a flare in the eastern
sky.  This was when a full or nearly full moon was low
in the sky.  Wow!

On the other hand, I hardly know what a Leonid is
like--- I have been clouded (or fogged) out so many
times during the fall that it is somewhat of a somber
point.

My entry into meteor hunting may be considered a bit
strange.  I first delved into meteorite hunting in the
fall of 1999.  Very soon afterwards, I decided to
start looking up for fireballs to track down in the
hopes of actually bagging a fresh one.  That was
really one of my prime motivations for meteor hunting!
This was during a time when I knew very little about
either topic.  I still remember gazing out one of our
big frame windows directed towards Pickerel Lake
and get excited by the appearance of a bright meteor,
which now when I think about it, must have been bright
indeed!

After a while, I simply liked to hunt down meteors.  I
don't quite remember how everything followed, but I do
recall discovering meteorobs on a few separate
occasions and decided to send my first report to them
(That observation only yielded a single sporadic.)  It
then became a habit to send reports, and I have
been sending a few every now and then since.  In those
early days, I am certain some of those meteors that I
were seeing were faithful Taurids, including a pair of
very short ones--- just a mere 1-2 sec. apart, shoot
out of Pleiades!  Now that was a sight!

Long, bright, and stormy Leonids!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA