[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Hunt of November 4/5, 2002!

November 11, 2002

Greetings Rainer Arlt and Fellow Meteor Enthusiasts!

Thank you for the comments!  While I think I am doing
better at recording the paths of meteors, I question
my accuracy at computing the duration of meteors.
Thus, that was why I was hesitant of listing such data
directly.  But, if you think the information is within
safe margins of acceptance, then I will start listing
angular velocities directly in the future.

As for the obscured sky data, I am referring to my
field of view and not the whole sky.  I did get that
confused before!

Long, glowing, Leonid trains!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA

--- RainerArlt <rarlt@aipdot de> wrote:

> Hi Mark and meteor observers,
>
> Many thanks for the Taurid report. It looks very
> fine, and it's just some thoughts I'd like to >
mention.

> > I encountered some discrepancies with the "Degrees
> > Per Sec." data and thus have declined to list it
> > in this report  at least directly.  I have
> > included enough information to draw rough > >
estimates.

> When computed from the path length and duration, the
> angular velocities are all very plausible. The
> Taurids are generally slow
>
> >                     GENERAL LOCATION
> >             PATH     (and/or START
> >  # SHOWER  LENGTH     & END POINTS)

> >  1  NTA    30 deg.   Ended near Fomalhaut (alpha
>                        Piscis Austrini)
> >  2  NTA?  ~10 deg.   Per.  (Crawled up his
>                        outstreched leg!)
> >  3  NTA     5 deg.   Headed towards Iota Aurigae.
> >  4  SPO    ~3 deg.   Cass.
>
> >  5  SPO (?)10+ deg.  Ended in Cetus.
> >  6  NTA     8 deg.   Aries

> >  #      DURATION (SEC.)
> >  1           3
> >  2          1.5
> >  3          1.5
> >  4          0.5
> >  5          ~1 (Did not see its whole path.)
> >  6          ~1
>
> This leads to 10, 7, 3, 6, 10+, and 8 degrees/sec.
> All these velocities are relatively slow, but since
> the observation was done in the early evening, also
> the sporadics are expected to be slow in general. >
Looks consistent. You might try to estimate deg/sec >
directly without the detour via path length and >
duration.