[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) METEOR REPORT POSTING GUIDELINES FOR 'meteorobs'

Well, our posting activity is picking up rapidly here
on 'meteorobs' - just as we hope Leonid activity will
pick up rapidly on the peak Leonid nights next week! :)

Some notes are in order about posting individual NAMN,
IMO, DMS, etc. Meteor Observation reports to the list:

This is a GREAT way to get feedback on your reporting
formats and - even more important - on the data you're
collecting during your watches. Therefore, we usually
encourage newer or less-frequent observers to send in
ONE or TWO detailed ("meteor by meteor") reports, for
commentary from their fellow 'meteorobs' readers.

HOWEVER, please don't send in EVERY observing report
for EVERY session to our list! Only a few people will
be able to make good use of your reports - while the
many other readers on the list will quickly get over-
whelmed with these reports, and begin to complain to
your humble List Administrators about it! :)

Instead, please keep in mind the following...

METEOR REPORT POSTING GUIDELINES FOR 'meteorobs':

1) "Normal" detailed reports can be sent directly
to the IMO Visual Program, OR to your own regional
or national coordinating organization(s). These
reports should follow the format recommended by
your organization, and should be sent directly to
one or more coordinating persons for that group.
For example, many North American observers email
their reports to "North American Meteor Network",
using some variation of the following form:
  http://www.namnmeteors.org/reports.html

2) SUMMARY reports (with *statistics* for a session,
but not the data for individual meteors) are always
welcome at 'meteorobs'. We especially encourage this
if something unusual or exciting has happened during
one of your sessions. Below are links to some sample
"summary" and "flash" observing reports, taken from
the Web archives of 'meteorobs':
  http://www.meteorobs.org/maillist/msg22305.html
  http://www.meteorobs.org/maillist/msg22407.html
  http://www.meteorobs.org/maillist/msg23881.html

3) Detailed reports of EXTRAORDINARY events, such
as fireballs, electrophonic sounds, or unexpected
meteor outbursts are also welcome on 'meteorobs'.
Just be sure that your details are ALSO sent into
the appropriate regional or global organization!

4) If you are not sure what to put in a report, and
would like to ask questions or get comments on your
effort before submitting a formal report, I strongly
ENCOURAGE you to post a report or two to meteorobs!

5) If you are ever unable to reach the contacts at
your reporting organization, and something unusual
like a meteor storm has occurred (in other words, in
an emergency!), please by all means use 'meteorobs'
as a backup, and post your detailed reports here!

Clear skies and fruitful observing to all,

Lew Gramer (GRALE), IMO, NAMN
owner-meteorobs@atmob.org
Webmaster: http://www.meteorobs.org
Webmaster: http://www.visualdeepsky.org