From: iansplanet [mailto:iansplanet2000@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 7:49 PM
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Subject: (meteorobs) Re: LEONIDS SPECIFICITY

We had an unreal, unearthly experience last year, driving from Tulsa,
Ok, to Guymon, about 300
miles at least. Got there just after midnight and saw an earthgrazer
which lasted so long my wife
was able to scream, "Oh my god! about five or six tines, during which
the grazer caught up with
our van, passed it, and exploded at about one o'clock out the right side
window. It was one of the
best I have ever seen. We pulled off the road immediately, parked on a
county road and disturbed
the pheasants and prairie chickens, then huddled under sleeping bags.
From four o'clock until
five, when the fog closed in, we saw about 1,200 meteorites, some faint,
some bright enough to
case shadows. We saw five or six at a time many times. As I drove back
east to Tulsa, I could
still see them falling into the rising sun.

This year we want to stay closer and not drive so much. So, which night
and what time would be
best for viewing? We plan on going north of Tulsa toward Kansas, into
Osage County which is really
dark. What should we expect to be the optimum time? And which night?
Thanks. This enriches the
life of me, my wife, and kids so much. It annually proves that God
exists and is the ultimate
power in the universe. Thanks to this site and the hard work of all
contributors.

Johnie in Tulsa