[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids to be discussed on NPRs Science Friday

----- Original Message -----
From: <Skywayinc@aol.com>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 10:32 AM

> The long-range charts are all pointing to something somewhat unusual for
> November: what looks to be the development of a subtropical low pressure
> system that ultimately will evolve into a powerful extratropical East Coast
> storm.  This system will begin taking form over the Florida Keys early
> Saturday.  By Sunday, this intensifying system will be over Cape Hatteras,
> North Carolina and will be pressing northward.

It's not tropical or subtropical in any way, shape or form.....just a standard
baroclinic fall-winter low/noreaster.  I'm more of a weather nut than a meteor
nut...trust me on this one :-)

Subtropical, Extratropical, and Hybrid are all very specific terms and it is not
possible for this storm to be any of the three.

 > An all-out nor'easter will be in progress for much of the middle-Atlantic and
> Northeast US on Sunday and Sunday night.  The storm should be attaining its
> maximum near Cape May, NJ early Sunday night . . . then continue northeast
> reaching the Gulf of Maine by Monday evening and finally southwestern
> Newfoundland by Tuesday morning.

New model trends have it much more to the west....the low center tracking
inland. The 12Z models aren't quite fully out yet. This would cloud out more
people, but it also looks like it's moving more quickly on a couple of the
models.

John Krempasky