[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids to be discussed on NPRs Science Friday

In a message dated 11/13/02 11:52:50 AM Eastern Standard Time, johnk@dmv.com
writes:

<< It's not tropical or subtropical in any way, shape or form.....just a
standard
 baroclinic fall-winter low/noreaster.  I'm more of a weather nut than a
meteor
 nut...trust me on this one :-) >>

Hi John --

    I trust you . . . but I've also been going back and forth with several
friends of mine at the National Weather Service and we all agree that -- at
least initially -- this impending system seems to display some subtropical
characteristics . . . also, the location where the storm is expected to
evolve (Florida Keys) is not the more typical winter-type low pressure storms
that emerge from the western and central Gulf of Mexico.

    Of course, we are still in hurricane season for another 17 days, so I
suppose anything is possible this late in the season that far south.

    However, at this point, I really don't care what it is, or what it
eventually turns out to be; I'm willing to put up with a stormy Sunday so
long as it has passed far enough away from us to allow for clear skies on
Tuesday morning!

-- joe