[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) E KS Nov. 17th/2002 AM stat.s (MATBE)

Went to my regular site for the final two hours before dawn on SUN
morning, Nov. 17th.  Was extremely careful with shower association,
and the following issues/pt.s need to be raised.

Leonids were dim as a whole, 11 total seen, 4 & 7 per hour, mag. +2
were my best ones.  Only one had a train, a short +3 by the radiant.
It was easy (for me at least) to separate the Northern Apex source
sporadics from the Leonids.  They were brighter (& longer)meteors,
as well.  I think there are going to be counts that are
going to show INFLATED rates per hour for the Leonids because of
the N Apex source for the earlier dates than max.
Twice in the 2:00 watch, at 423am and 512am
there were Leonids within 15 seconds of each other, a +4/+2 set and
a +5/+4 set.  I watched to the E and NE during my two hours, to
help in Leonid shower association, I saw alot of meteors up in the
zenith and high west, watching to the W would have been more
productive, I think, especially later in the time period.  Only two
meteors from 540am to 6am, a -1 Northern Apex and +3 N Taurid.

Other notes of interest were two real nice early Alpha Monocerotids,
both swift, fairly bright and trained.  I saw only two Iota Aurigids, a few
of the Taurids could easily have been called IA's but angular velocity
was slower, and tracing the path back farther lead to Taurid radiants.

DATE - 2002 November 16/17  0400-0600AM
            2002 November 17      1000-1200UT
OBSERVER - Bert G. Matous  (MATBE)
SITE - Rutlader, KS  Louisburg Middle Creek Lake
          +38.5 N  94 37' W
Facing E at 65 degrees center of FOV 1st hr.
Facing NE at 75 degrees ctr FOV 2nd hr.
Zenithal Star - At :20 min intervals starting at 4AM -
5.2/5.6/6.0/6.2/6.0/4.8(twilight in progress)
Observing method - Notepad recording without looking.
Total Time - 2:00
Total Meteors - 40.
11 Leonids, 2 Alpha Mono., 2 I. Aurigids,  4 S Taurids,
2 N Taurids,  19 Sporadics(incl. 6 NPX & 1 SPX)

0400-0500AM  4 L, 1 IA, 1 STA, 9 Spor(2 NPX & 1 SPX included)
0500-0600AM  7 L, 1 IA, 3 STA, 1 NTA, 2 AMO, 10 Spor(4 NPX)

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS - (N & S Apex separate here)
Origin   -1  0  +1  +2  +3  +4  +5     TOTAL
LEO      -   -    -     2    4    4    1        11 (1 train)

STA      -   -    1    -     3     -    -          4
NTA      -   -    -     1    1     -    -          2
AMO     -   -    1    1     -     -    -          2  (Both trained)
IAur.      -   -    -     2    -     -     -          2
Spor.     -   -    1    1    4    3    3        12  (1 train)
NAPEX 1   -    2    -     2    -     1          6
SAPEX -    -    -    1     -     -     -          1
TOTAL:                                            40 meteors in 2:00 hr.

REMARKS - 35 F, wind N at 5 MPH

Both Alpha Mon.s had 2 sec. trains, the +3
Leonid that had a train was 1.5 sec. in duration
+2 Sporadic had a 1 sec. train,
the -1 N Apex had a 2 sec. train.

Looks like I am clouded out tonight, but should
have clear skies if not here, nearby for the max.

Thought I'd get this report in for the people
interested,

Regards from KS, USA

Bert Matous