[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Metoer shower a bust, but we did get a Slashdot Story

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Peters" <cp@linuxtech.com>

> We are in Chester Springs PA, about 40 miles west of Philadelphia.  Drove
> about 10 minutes south east because satelite images showed clouds rolling
> in.  We didn't see one meteor during the peak of 10:38-11:04 PM EST.

You shouldn't have expected to see any meteors at ALL for the 11PM peak.

 Except for a VERY rare "earthgrazer" it's extremely difficult to see ANY
Leonids at all before Leonid rises above the horizon...and it doesn't till
midnight on the East Coast.

The media has always had a difficult time conveying to people how it's generally
a waste of time to look for Leonids before midnight...and, of course, people
WANT to be out before midnight so they can go to sleep.

Unfortunately there were many really terrible media reports and stories implying
that that there were two peaks visible to Americans, and implying that they gave
equal chances for people to see meteors.   And from reading some non-meteor
bulletin boards, sadly, I see a lot of people who only planned to see the
(non-existent in America, really) 11PM "peak", went out, saw nothing, and are
disgusted.

I live in central Delmarva, and there's some high cloud but you can see the
brighter stars....moon is the main problem.

Get as far South as you can...I'm toying with driving to the Eastern Shore of
Virginia myself.

John Krempasky

Follow-Ups: References: