[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radiant rise Leonid early report from E KS (MATBE)

Skies are absolutely crystal clear in KS, am waking up
my daughter and significant other now for the later session
at my regular site.

Went out here in S. Overland Park KS, on S outskirts of KC metro,
from 1150pm to 1220 am, zenithal star was an impressive 5.0
from here in town!

I saw 4 Leonids and 1 Northern Taurid (+2), plus one +3 sporadic.

The first Leonid was an impressive 70 degree grazer, 0 mag.
2nd was a +1 35 degree long one thru Orion.
Two +4 mag.s followed, one 15 degrees and one 30 degrees long.

The first two were trained, and I, like the Sky & Telescope man
saw the brighter ones with orangish heads and bluewhite trains.

I consider this not bad for full moon, in town, and less than 5 degree
radiant height.

Here too the media is throwing ALOT of people curve balls, telling
general public the observing grounds of a local observatory were open
at DUSK!

The first peak will have been hardly noticeable to impatient general
public at midnight local time, who were naturally going to anticipate far
more than was seen by me!

Regards from clear this year KS,

Bert G Matous

PS - Pay back for the rotten weather and :45 min. time I got in last year!

Going mobile to my dark sky site in a little over an hour and a half,

Bgm