[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Second peak in twilight

I saw the buildup to the second peak through thin clouds and moonlight and
then twilight too, from here near Boston.

Despite the bad conditions (limiting magnitude 4.6) I got one meteor a
minute from 4:22 to 4:50 a.m. EST,  29 of them from 4:50 to 5:07,  17 from
5:07 to 5:17,  then 24 from 5:22 to 5:37 (the predicted peak time) in
brightening dawn (lim. mag. about 4.0).  Then 22 from 5:37 to 5:50 with
dawn getting really bright. It seemed like they were increasing as dawn
came on.

Not as good as last year, but still a very unusual shower.

Alan MacRobert
Sky & Telescope