[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 1st report

Wow!  I know a flood of reports is coming, so I'm going to get mine in right
now.

From looking at my notes, I show a small rise (very small) around 10:00UT,
and then a steady increase from 10:15 until 10:50.

Time			LEO	LM
10:30 - 10:35  	30	4.6
10:35 - 10:40	40	4.6
10:40 - 10:45	66	4.6
10:45 - 10:50	83	4.7
10:50 - 10:55	47	4.7
10:55 - 11:00	46	4.7

From there they dropped off pretty rapidly.  I saw some very interesting
things tonight that I will be asking about in weeks to come.  I felt that
the meteors were a little dimmer than last year, but I saw many more
trains--one lasting for over a minute.  I also noticed a lot of color this
year.  That really made the evening exceptional.

I don't believe I have ever observed for meteors under the glare of a full
moon before.  Can't say that I enjoyed it too much, but it did make fumbling
around for my pencil a little easier.  Maybe if this happens again in a
hundred years we'll be getting in reports from the far side of the moon...

The sun's not up yet, but I just couldn't stay out any longer.  Rates have
droped below 3/min. now.  I've got pneumonia and probably shouldn't have
been out anyway (local temps ~40F), but it was well worth however many sick
days I have to use up to recover!

--Terry Johnson

92.2367W, 35.2733N
central Arkansas