[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) San Diego Leonids-Prelim Report

Hi All..

LOADS OF FAINT METEORS! (plus some nice early earth-grazers). I counted
exactly 250 Leonids in 3.5 hours.  (plus 2 nice Taurids and 15 Sporadics)

We battled the the moon and a horrendously fierce and wickedly cold
Santa Ana wind up at the Laguna Mountain site.  As with Gary K.'s remark
about the LM.. ours was about the same. starting of between 4.5-5
with the moon at the zenith.. and never getting better than 5.0.
And, again to go along with Garys remark amount meteor magnitude..
There were very few negative magnitude meteors.. no fireballs.. most all the
250 Leonids were faint .. with mag's 2,3,4

Heres a quick breakdown.. formal report to follow after sleep and work.
Began at 1130pm local time.. logged 1.5 hrs viewing time.. took a 30 min
break from wind... then watched at 130am for one hour... another 25min break
from the wind. began last hour at 255am an watched one final hour...
-------------------------------------
                 LEO
0730-0830 (UT)   10
0830-0900        17
break
0930-0945        8
0945-1000        13
1000-1015        30
1015-1030        50
break
1055-1110        49
1110-1125        28
1125-1140        23
1140-1155        22

I think I have my UT conversion correct.

A fine display despite the poor conditions.  Between 1015-1030 I saw a three
'doublets' (2 simualtanious meteors) and one great triplet about 20deg from
the radiant.. all three meteors simultaniously diverging from the radiant
point. very cool to see that.

well.dot its bedtime. I look forward to diving into the reports tomorrow
night.

Joseph Assmus
SAn Diego, CA