[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid Preliminary, Westford MA USA, 18/19 Nov 2002

[This bounced earlier this morning - apologies!]

Under varying amounts of cirrus (from mostly clear
to mostly cloudy), and LMs varying (during "usable
clearings") from 4.7 to 5.5, I observed for about
5.5 hours (0330-1100UT, with breaks). At no point
did rates go above 10/min. I was estimating magni-
tudes, but also did "timed minutes" while doing so:
During well over half of these "timed minutes", my
counts were below 5 meteors / min, all night long.

At the predicted 0400UT first storm peak I logged
a relatively large number of earth grazers - maybe
as many of 40 in the time 0330-0500 UT, while the
radiant rose from right at the horizon to 20o elev.

Unfortunately, though, this early "spike" was act-
ually the most exciting part of the night... I can
confirm that as of bright twilight at 1045UT, the
second "storm" had NOT occurred. However, doing a
fireball watch into sunrise, I DID notice a large
number of meteors mag > -3: more than at any other
time of the night! So I suspect New England got to
glimpse the first peak - but maybe just missed the
highest rates (such as they were) of the second?

I'll transcribe my digital recording today, after
a bit of sleep. It looks as though our friends in
the Western US and East Pacific will have to tell
us whether the various models got it right or not!

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer