[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radiant-rise varies with location (was Re: Metoer shower a bust, but we did get a Slashdot Story)

> Except for a VERY rare "earthgrazer" it's extremely difficult
> to see ANY Leonids at all before Leonid [radiant] rises above
> the horizon... and it doesn't till midnight on the East Coast.

The point that the radiant must be above (or VERY NEAR) your
local horizon for you to see a shower, is well taken. But...

Quick note, folks, just to avoid confusion... In actual fact,
MUCH of the East Coast (including PA) was not able to see the
"first peak" last night - but some of us were! In Boston, for
example, the Leonid radiant rose around 10:15 Local (0315UT).

So for those watching East, it was possible to observe (and
we DID observe a few) Earth grazers as early as 10:00pm. And
in fact, as things worked out in Eastern New England, we lost
essentially ALL of the second storm to twilight - so that it
turned out to be a lucky thing for those of us who got out to
glimpse that "European" storm peak from up here... :-(

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer