[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Reflections on the Leonids from Metcalfe, Canada...

Greetings all,

Not a great night in the annals of meteor observing from southern Ontario.
It did however, have its interesting points.

The first peak was clouded out here completely.  Solid, unrelenting, heavy
cloud.  I went back to sleep.

I went outside about 9.00 UT, and set up my camera platform with 3 cameras,
equipped with Kendrick dew heaters to keep the lenses clear.  The LM was
about 2 - I could name all the stars I could see.  There was 90 % cloud and
severe haze.

I curled up in my sleeping bag, and turned on the radio for company.  At
10.05 UT there was a nice exploding -4 Leonid down in the tree branches.  I
logged a couple 0 mag Leonids.  By 10.07 UT there was 100 % cloud, but a
couple stars were still remotely visible.  By 10.16 UT the LM was -2 (I
could see Jupiter).

This reminded me of a dark cloudy night years back in the 'Badlands' area of
southern Alberta, when I got lost driving across Canada.  No roads that were
marked on any map I had.  No houses.  Not a light for miles.  I could see
Jupiter.  I knew Jupiter was in the south.  I knew the trans-Canada highway
was in the south.  I followed Jupiter for 2 hours to find my way back to the
highway.

Anyway, at 10.27 UT I could see Procyon.  10.28 UT another 0 Leonid.  10.36
UT a flash that lit up my landlord's house.  I saw 4 stars in the sickle of
Leo!!!  At this point, real heavy cloud was starting to moving in from the
west.  However, in the part of the sky that wasn't as thick, saw another 4
Leonids in short order - a couple 0 mag, a couple slightly fainter at 1 mag.

At 10.55 UT I lost Jupiter.  Good thing I wasn't driving.  The radio came on
talking about a group of observers west of Ottawa who had seen a big flash
while watching through cloud.

I got up, stretched my legs - and at exactly 11.00 UT - a beautiful
(estimated) -10 Leonid exploded in the zenith.

If I estimate the earlier flash I saw as probably also about a -10, my
average meteor magnitude for the session would have been - 2.2.  It was a
pleasant night, not cold, only about -9 C (16F).  Glasses kept wanting to
frost if I breathed on them, so I guess winter is coming.

I am delighted to hear that observers in the southern States, California,
Illinois and other places got good skies - and will be able to contribute
useful data for the meteor researchers.  This really brings home the meaning
of the term 'global coverage'.  We can't all get clear skies - but being
scattered around the globe - at least useful data can be gathered by those
fortunate few, and will be used by meteor science.

The Leonids have also been a great opportunity to increase public awareness
about meteors.  They have been on TV, on the radio, in the national press,
and even in the little regional papers.  Many people who have never thought
about meteors before - sure did this time around.  Hopefully we will all
have sparked some ongoing interest in meteors - that will last long after
Leonids have faded from our skies.........

Clear skies all!

- Cathy Hall
   NAMN
   www.namnmeteors.org