[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FM radio went crazy - Leonids from Oregon. 11/18-19/2002

I spent the whole night before 10:45UT  (2:45am local) driving around
central Oregon  USA  under almost total cloud cover listening to FM car
radio meteor echos while looking for cloud clearings.   I had headed to
Burns (due to misleading Internet weather info)  but hit rain at 11:30pm
local time (7:30UT)   Radio signals varied from 2 to 12 meteors per 15
minute intervals.   Turned back and went to Pine Mountain Observatory,
met three meteor enthusiasts (IE: die-hards) there and more clouds at
~12:30pm local time.  (8:30 UT)
Radio signals between 9:05UT and 9:11 UT were counted at 8.     9:41 to
9:45UT gave 6 FM meteor counts.
Then the radio went crazy  from 9:46 till 10:00UT   I counted 97 meteor
signals with many over lapping and multiple stations coming in on the
same frequency.  Sometimes one station would come in so clear for a few
seconds that it sounded like it was local,  only to be replaced by a
different station.   While this was exciting to hear it also made the
solid clouds even more frustrating.   So I started driving towards Bend
where the clouds looked less dark.
Saw one opening in the clouds to the SW  so I drove until I had placed
it to the east of me.     I was so surprised to catch such a large hole
(F=1.25 to 2) that I just watched in wonder the first 5- 10 minutes.
This is at ~10:45UT till ~10:55UT    I was seeing many dim meteors with
magnitudes of 3 and 4 mostly.    It was averaging about 1 per second !
then I realized the peak wasn't over,  and perhaps I could record some
data.  !!
Got the recorder from the car and the visual rate had already slowed to
approximately 1 to 2 per minute.
From 10:58 to 11:30 UT  I counted 48 meteors.
I will send the formal data later as I want to get some sleep.    Also
it is clear now  11/19-20  so might get up and get some more counts.
Happy and tired,
Dustin Brown