[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) From Central Pennsylvania

> Well, astronomy is similar to real estate. Location, Location, and
> Location.

> The initial reports for the Leonid Meteor shower indicated the counts
> were low. Most observers indicated that the show did not match last
> year (2002).

> However, some did see  a large number. As the reports came in,
> certain parts of the United States received a good show. There is
> mention of "earth grazers"  and spectular trails.

> There was mention of two separate peaks. We were under moderate cloud
> cover and of course the full moon. In central Pennsylvania,  we only
> observed a possible peak in activity about 5:15 AM,  local Eastern
> Standard Time. but (interestingly) the observers felt their data was
> not specific enough to add new information to the data base on the
> Leonid Shower. Magnitudes were difficult to determine. At the
> beginning of the event Jupeter (-2 mag) was visible and about eight
> stars near the zenith, the horizion was obscured.

The original plan were to use Juniata College's field station, ( 40.3 N,
78.2 W), the plans were changed as the wet weather made travel on the
mountainous mud roads to the site difficult, and with the unpredictable
cloud cover,  a change in location was needed.

Our  second choice location, was in a small college town,  lat. 40.5 N.
long. 78.0 W., was selected.  The model for the Leonids indicated  we
could expect to see,
beginning at 3 am local to 7 am local,  an estimated 3,299.4 meteors.
Peak was
to be at 5:22 am.  In reality, we saw  approximately 60 per hour, or one
a minute. A peak in activity  was about 5:15 AM local.