[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) LEONID OBSERVATIONS FROM COASTAL NORTH CAROLINA (Nov 17/18)

Seeing this note from Mark Davis reminded me that it was a good time to
report what we saw from Atlantic Beach, North Carolina.  We returned to
Central Virginia very late last night and this is the first opportunity
that I have to report these results.  They are as follows:

Observer -        Felix A.Martinez
Location  -        Atlantic Beach, North Carolina (Lat - 34.70 degrees
North/Long - 076.74 degrees West)
Date -                17/18 November 2002

Before 0915 UT        2 Leonids and 2 Sporadics
Limiting Magnitude of 5.4
0915 - 1015              11 Leonids;       2 North Taurids;       2
Sporadics        LM 5.5-6.0
1015 - 0545               4 Leonids and 5 Sporadics
 Limiting Magnitude 5.8

Comments - Moonset @ 1005 UT (noticed darker LM 6.0 sky about 5 minutes
prior).  Twilight came on strong at 1040 UT.  Brightest Leonid was a -1
Blue-Green Meteor that had a five-second train (about 1038 UT).  Good to
get back out observing and see these 27 meteors!

                                        In Astronomical Affinity - Felix