[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Thank you! plus my 1-min counts & family/friend obs

This is mainly to say "Thank you very much!!" to the various teams
who made Leonid predictions!  Among the prediction graphs given by
Science @ NASA:

http://science.nasadot gov/headlines/y2002/09oct_leonidsforecast.htm

was the one for Houston, Texas (nearest to me).  Estimating the
numbers from that graph, the 15-minute, moonlight-biased,
predicted rates were about:

330 Asher-McNaught (1,320/hr)
250 Jenniskens (1,000/hr)
150 Lyytinen-Van Flandern (600/hr)

(By the way, the Vaubaillon-Colas prediction was pretty close to
that of Lyytinen-Van Flandern but wasn't in the Science @ NASA
graphs.  However, all four, without bias for moonlight, appear
in a graph on this page:  http://www.spaceweather.com/leonids/ .)

My raw count for 10:35-10:55 Nov 19 UTC was 261 Leonids (783/hr
-- don't know what ZHR that would be), including 16 in one minute
and 69 in five minutes, and also I saw a number of doublets and
maybe even three or four at once.  So my actual results fell well
above the lowest of the moonlight-biased predictions.  Here are
my one-minute counts (except two periods as noted; times have an
implied ":00" appended, i.e., 10:00:00-10:02:00, please pardon a
bit of redundancy from yesterday's report):

Ed Cannon