[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Chances of another Meteor Storm?

On this topic, as a reminder, a day or two ago Joe Rao
wrote:

> ... a curious inquiry which I received from Mr. Edgar
> Castro, of the Astronomical Society of Guatemala....
>
>> Yesterday I got a curious phone call from an observer
>> in Sanarate, who said that at 2am on MONDAY 18th, he
>> saw many shootings stars, so many that he could not
>> count them, he watched them for 45 minutes and went to
>> sleep because he got bored of watching this.
>>
>> I am trying to confirm this observatios with others,
>> because is the only one that I have, however, in the
>> meantime the question that burdens myself is
>>
>> Could the predictions be wrong and we missed the date?

I hope we hear more about this, if it really was on Nov. 18.
Was anyone else in the Americas watching on Monday morning
at 8:00 UTC (2:00 a.m. Central Standard Time, as well as
Guatemala time)?  I wish I had been!  Bert in Kansas was
out a couple of hours later that morning, I think.  Missed
it by that much?

How many many revs back did the predicting teams search?
How long can a whole bunch of meteoroids stay clustered
together?

The IMO information about the Leonids lists the shower's
nodal passage at 20:00 Nov 17 UTC (i.e., Sunday, Nov. 17).
On the IMO-News list I see that people in India were
observing at that time.

Co-worker observations -- I heard today from another
person where I work that he saw a number of Leonids, but
he was disappointed that there weren't more.  I also
heard that someone else at the office saw quite a few.

Our local newspaper printed on Monday that people should
look from "11 p.m. to 4 a.m."  So I spammed everyone in
the office to tell them to *start* at 4:00, not stop!

Ed Cannon - ecannon @ mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA