[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Hunt of November 7/8, 2002!

November 23, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

This night was blessed with a strange warm front that
swept through, making the observations actually
enjoyable weather wise (despite a bit of transparent
haze)!  No confirmed Taurids were caught sight of,
although I have suspicions that meteor # 1 could have
been an Andromedid.

I have returned to directly listing the "Degrees per
Second" data as suggested by Rainer Arlt.  I am really
thankful for everyone's help with my many meteor
questions which I can safely say are not the last ones
on my mind!   I apologize for not responding to
everyone--- I have still been busy despite a slow down
of farm work.

DATE: Nov. 7/8, 2002            BEGIN: 0:55:06  UT
                                END: 1:40:01  UT
OBSERVER: Mark Fox
LOCATION: Long: 85 deg. 49' W; Lat.: 43 deg. 27' N
City & State: Newaygo, Newaygo, Co., MI USA
Elevation: 760 feet
Start Temperature: 49 F (10 C) @ 0:50:21 UT
End Temperature:   50 F (10 C) @ 1:45:26 UT
Windy?: Somewhat, but not very cold.
RECORDING METHOD: Designate Tape Recorder or Manual:
manual (paper & pencil)

OBSERVED SHOWERS: (Use 3 letter Codes)
NTA
SPO

OBSERVING PERIODS:
(On average, 10 sec/meteor should be subtracted for
recording purposes.) 0 = None seen;  / = shower not
watched.

PERIOD(UT)      FIELD         LM   TEFF   NTA   SPO

0:55:06-  *R.A. 0 h 13 m;   ~5.25  0.69    0     4
1:40:01    Decl. 15 deg. 11"

*Note:  In reality, however, my total field could be
broadened more.

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER  -3 -2 -1  0 +1 +2 +2.5 +3 +4 +5
NTA      0  0  0  0  0  0   0   0  0  0
SPO      0  0  0  0  2  0   1   0  1  0
Total: 4 meteors

FIELD OF VIEW OBSCURED:

            20% FROM: 0:55:06  UT
            TO: 1:40:01  UT

Note: The "Obscured Field Of View" percentage is due
to trees.  If I remember correctly, there was a touch
of haze during this night, resulting in a marginal LM.

DEAD TIME: ~3 min.

BREAKS: none

LIMITING MAGNITUDE:

                   AVERAGE
            STAR    STAR
TIME        AREA    COUNT    LM

~0:56:01      6        6      5.4
1:05:36-
1:06:21      14       10      5.2+
1:10:36-46    2        6      5.0
1:21:36-
1:22:26       6        6      5.4

MEAN LIMITING MAGNITUDE: ~5.25

METEOR DATA:

SPEED
 #   TIME(UT)  SHOWER  MAG  (1-5)  COLOR  TRAIN(SEC)
 1   0:57:36    SPO?    1     3   Yel./Wh.    -
 2   1:14:36    SPO     4    ~3   Yel./Wh.    -
 3   1:28:31    SPO    2.5  ?4-5  ?Yel/.Wh.   -
 4   1:30:36    SPO     1   ?4-5  Wh.         -

           PATH      GENERAL LOCATION
# SHOWER  LENGTH      (and/or START
                       & END POINTS)

1 SPO?    ~15 deg.    Ended near Fomalhaut (alpha
                      Piscis Austrini)

2 SPO       5 deg.    Per./And.

3 SPO      12 deg.    And.

4 SPO       5+ deg.   ~Per./Cam.

 #     SHOWER   "APPROXIMATE" DEGREES / SEC.

 1      SPO?      10 deg./sec.
 2      SPO        5 deg./sec.
 3      SPO       12 deg./sec.+
 4      SPO       10 deg./sec.

Note: On average, the speed may have been
underestimated a little.

SPEED (VELOCITY) SCALE:
0 = Stationary
1 = Very Slow
2 = Slow
3 = Medium
4 = Fast
5 = Very Fast

REMARKS:

1.  During the session, I had discovered that my watch
was stopping when I turned its light on, (needed a new
battery) which made for some nervous observing. The
following day I found it to be 36 sec. too slow and
corrected all of the time accordingly.  As of this
writing, it has been "refreshed."   Expect the time
for the meteors to be off ~5-8 sec. at most.

2.  NTA = Taurids (ANT) and SPO = sporadics.

3.  Per.= Perseus; Cass. = Cassiopeia; And. =
Andromeda; Cam. = Camelopardalis; etc.

Long, bright, and stony Geminids!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA