[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FWD: Paulo Raymundo Leonids Brazil Nov 18 and 19

Paulo Raymundo requested that I forward this message.

Ed Cannon wrote:

>Was anyone else in the Americas watching on Monday
>morning at 8:00 UTC (2:00 a.m. Central Standard Time,
>as well as Guatemala time)?

Hi Ed and All,

I was watching on Monday (Nov. 18) morning from 3:25 to
7:30 UTC and didn't see anything unusual under 3.9 mag.
skies. On November 19 I observed the 1767 peak from
Brazil (latitude = -13 deg.) even though it occurred as
predicted over Western Europe. As expected, the presence
of the full moon reduced the number of visible faint
meteors and smoke trains; with a NELM of 3.7 the shower
was not as spectacular as the fireball outburst of 1998
or the meteor storm of 2001. Even so we saw a marvelous
display with several -5 magnitude fireballs from 1:36 to
5:11 a.m. local time (UT-2). Amongst the many Leonids, a
couple of earth-grazers were the most memorable. Residual
smoke trains were very frequent but could hardly be seen
for more than a few seconds, let alone be captured on
film due to moonlight interference. Please refer to
http://www.reaiche.com/Fireballs_and_Meteors.html for a
few photos.

Paulo M. Raymundo
Salvador, Brazil