[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Joe Rao's summation of the 2002 Leonids

Guys, I have to say that I agree with Mr. Stine here. I am Octavian in Jakarta, Indonesia. I am just an amateur observer who curious about our sky. 2001 Leonid I had quite remarkable experience that I was looking forward to having it again this year. And as last year, I even published the news in my company's mailing list about the shower - esspecially with the time of predicted peak was perfect for most of Moslems who are conducting their Ramadhan's Sahur.
But as we all know, the shower was very-very disappointing. More than 70% clouds right overhead and the clearings were small and scattered in the polluted sky of the city that made me gave up hope. And the next day, most of my friends who tried to catch the glimpse of the shower complained about some kind of false-alarm. For them "shower" means lots of lots of lots...esspecially with the last year's experience, even I had explained about the low rates that we were encountering in Jakarta. What else could I say?!!
Maybe next time - for Geminids, maybe we can get the actual estimate number of meteors that someone could see with their unaided eyes. After all, most of us - the just curious amateur observers, doesn't have those fancy observation tools... ;-)
This is just a thought...

Best Regards,
Octavian