[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) My Leonid MAC Experience

Hi All! This is a quick overview of my experiences last week. I’m
already back at work but unfortunately my brain is still lost in another
time zone between here and Spain! I probably left out many details but
it’s the best I can do in my current condition. I tried to write this so
that my non astronomical friends could also understand. If anyone has
any questions I’ll be happy to reply ASAP. Pictures should be available
soon (I only took video). When I hear of their availability I’ll let you
know.

Bob Lunsford

The 2002 MAC campaign officially started on Thursday November 14 with
everyone meeting in the town of Lancaster. We spent nearly the entire
day obtaining clearances for us and our vehicles at Edwards Air Force
Base. There were also briefings with the flight crew detailing our
flight path and the goals for the flight and safety issues. It was
exciting to discover that our pilot for this leg and the entire journey
to Spain and back would be none other than Gordon Fullerton, the pilot
of Shuttle Mission III aboard the Enterprise. We all knew we were in
good hands. That evening we took our first flight on board the DC-8. The
jet was very comfortable and catered exactly to our needs. Extremely
clear optical windows had been installed in place of the normal plastic
to allow our instruments a clear view of the sky. To our dismay though
the windows frosted over shortly into the flight, as they were not
getting adequate ventilation. This would be a big problem to all
experimenters, just not our flux team.

The next day back in Lancaster Pete Gural and I visited every Radio
Shack in town and bought CPU fans. We only came up with 8 so we were
forced to buy an additional 3 handheld fans from Walgreen’s. We wanted
to make sure the windows stayed clear in case the efforts by NASA’s
technicians did not resolve the problem. We arrived back at the base
during the afternoon and prepared for our evening flight to Offutt
Field, near Omaha, Nebraska. During the flight the windows remained
clear and the fans were not needed. Our main objective of the flight was
to determine our field of view so that so that the total area of the sky
each camera exhibited could be determined. We would draw our star field
on to a Brno star chart and then calculate the area of each drawing.
Looking through the goggles was a bit like being in the last row of a
walk-in theater. It gave us a large screen to view plus there were dark,
blank areas along the sides and down the front. Stars down to magnitude
5 (pretty faint!) were easily seen despite the bright moon. Star
patterns were a bit strange though as the red sensitive intensifiers
displayed red stars much brighter than they normally were seen to the
naked eye. For instance, zero magnitude Vega was in my field but was not
the brightest star. The brightest star was actually 2.2 magnitude
Eltanin (Gamma Draconis) which is spectral type K5 (deep orange).

We arrived in cool (33F) Nebraska near midnight CST and had a long bus
ride across town to our hotel. After we woke the next morning we took a
long hike to the closest shopping mall to get some last minute shopping
in before the long flight to Spain. We took off again around dusk and
were intently observing as soon as possible. For this leg I switched to
a low angle camera since Chris Crawford was having difficulty making
magnitude estimates of meteors so close to the horizon. I had no problem
with this except when the jet banked toward the left I had to quit
counting since the ground was in my field of view. At approximately 5:48
UT we had our first excitement of the trip. An extremely bright fireball
passed into the upper portion of my field. It was first seen by Chris
but he was not wearing his headset to alert the crew. As soon as the
initial shock wore off I quickly tried to notify everyone that we had a
bright train on the left side of the plane. Unfortunately by the time
everyone was aware of the situation the train had faded. This was good
practice though and we would certainly be ready for the next one. It was
interesting to see the angle of the Leonids passing though our fields
change as the night progressed. While overall rates were low, there was
still enough activity to keep us interested.

We touched down in overcast Madrid near 11am local time. It would not be
until 1pm we finally reached our hotel room. As in all the military
airports we visited, security was tight. I slept as soon as could and
woke just in time for dinner. Since the skies were cloudy we had the
choice of going out to the plane for 4 hours or just staying in the
hotel. I decided to go to the plane to help Dave and Pete with the
charts. There was one particular field we could not figure out. We had
spent a lot of time on this the previous night and still could not
figure it out. I reviewed the tape again noted the positions of the
other camera fields. There was a bright star off to the right but
nothing else was familiar. It turned out that bright star was none other
than Polaris and that the “dipper” was just out of the field of view.
Had the dipper been include it would have been easy. Anyway, we had a
productive 4 hours and then it was off to bed at 4am. Some folks took
this time to tour the city but I decided to get some sleep.

I woke some 4 hours later near 8am. Pete, Dave and I decided to tour the
city. There’s nothing like using the “Metro” at rush hour! We had heard
of a particular spot to go shopping so we ordered tickets for that
destination. The only problem though, halfway there the train stopped
and everyone got off. Nothing like being lost in Madrid! We spent a few
more full fares and ended up totally lost. Here are three guys who can
read star charts of the heavens but cannot decipher a transit map! Well
we finally figured out which lines were headed in and out of the city so
we knew we could get back to our hotel eventually. We than struck out on
foot and did some touring and shopping. Downtown was a nice area with
many photographic opportunities. It was much more impressive than the
suburbs where our hotel was located. After developing blisters on our
feet (at least I did!) it was time to head back to the hotel. We got
there without a hitch. It was time for another nap. We rested until
dinnertime. When we woke it was raining and we felt sorry for anyone who
traveled to Spain to view the shower. After a filling meal it was time
to pack and get ready for our big trip back across the Atlantic.

We were all back on the plane by 2am and ready for some great activity.
The plane was loaded to the max with people, equipment and fuel for our
long trip. We would be encountering strong head winds so it was decided
we would take off an hour early to make sure we were still in darkness
when the second maximum occurred. Unfortunately our sister craft “FISTA”
was having trouble getting off the ground. First of all one of the
engines balked at starting. Once that was resolved then there were
electrical problems. We waited as long as we could before deciding  we
had to take off solo. It took nearly the entire runway to get airborne
(52 seconds exactly). I got a good laugh from the mission director Bob
Curry saying we “were thundering down the runway like a heard of turtles.”
Since we were so heavy it took quite awhile to get above the clouds.
Several of us could not log on immediately as there was intermittent
clouds in our field of view. About a half hour into the flight there was
a loud cheer as we heard that FISTA finally was also airborne. We were
too far apart to do any coordinated high definition work between the two
planes but all other experiments could still be undertaken.

Meteor activity was evident as soon as the cameras were activated.
Unfortunately Dave Nugent’s camera was pointed directly at the moon so
he spent a good part of the first few hours helping everyone else out.
My camera was aimed toward Canis Major and Puppis. I did not have the
world’s best intensifier, as the bottom center portion of the screen was
more sensitive than the rest of the view. I had Dave Nugent adjust the
gain to achieve the best possible results. I left the gain toward the
high side in order to see the most activity. We were all seeing several
Leonids per minute and occasional bright ones. From what I recall rates
did not kick into high gear until 3:45 UT. From then and for the next 30
minutes I was seeing Leonids passing through my field of view every few
seconds. Near the top of the hour there were several simultaneous
Leonids and on one occasion there were three visible simultaneously.
While there were occasional bright Leonids, a great majority of the
activity appeared to be of the third and fourth magnitude (a bit on the
faint side). In fact the brightest meteor seen during this period was a
long-lasting Taurid. I had a bright train early in the session but it
paled in comparison to the one I reported on the 17th. It seems that
others were seeing better trains so I kept quiet.  Shortly after the
peak those on the right side of the plane (facing north) became excited
as bright trains began drifting into their field of view. These suddenly
became quite numerous, so numerous in fact that they thought that they
were clouds. We had not seen clouds for quite some time now were suppose
to be well above all cloud layers. The video team switched their main
monitor to the “all sky” camera and it was then obvious we were seeing
aurora. We all took short “time outs” to see this awesome sight on the
monitor a few rows up from our team. Within an hour I did not need the
monitor to see the aurora as it had reached my far south-facing camera.
Nearly the entire sky was ablaze with shimmering aurora. It was an
awesome sight, especially for someone like me who has only seen faint
glows low in the north on rare occasions. The Leonids were also active
during all this excitement with several meteors appearing each minute.
My filed of view had now shifted eastward into Hydra and Crater. As we
reached 10:00 UT and even 10:15 there was no enhancement of rates so it
seemed that the second maximum would be late. It was toward the bottom
of the hour that rates again kicked into high gear. Rates climbed
steadily and peaked near 10:50 UT. It was near this time I saw five
simultaneous Leonids and seven within a one second period. Although this
peak seemed a bit stronger than the first, it was also a bit dimmer with
no negative magnitude Leonids being recalled. Once again a great
majority of the Leonid activity was of third and fourth magnitude. A
noticeable drop in rates had occurred by 11:15 and activity was down to
a few Leonids every minute by 11:30 UT.

It was still dark as we approached Offutt Field, Nebraska so we flew on
to Wichita, Kansas. By this time though my brain was fried from
recording all the meteors and listening to all the chatter on the
headphones. Around 12:00 UT I quit for the night and enjoyed seeing the
lights of Kansas City (where I was born) and a beautiful sunrise.

There was a press conference and a get-together scheduled for 10am but
most of us were too pooped to stay awake. After a nice long nap I met
Dave Holman and George Varros down in the Hotel restaurant for a great
steak dinner. After another few hours of snoozing it was time to head
back to Edward’s AFB. FISTA was down for repairs so those folks would
not be able to observe in dark skies during this last leg of our journey.

Meteor rates during the last flight were back to more normal levels. It
seems that the Leonids and sporadics were producing rates of around 10
per hour. When we reached Edwards it was still dark so we flew to the
coast to take advantage of the last bit of darkness. When we arrived at
Edward’s there was a fantastic scene as the full moon hung just the
mountains in the west. The light orange moon in the purple sky was quite
a sight and a special way to end our journey. The next few hours were
spent dismantling the cameras and all the cables and removing them from
the plane. After a last meal together at the Cactus Café we all parted
and headed home with some new friends and many great memories.