[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Amazing night of Leonids

Hi. All
Thought I would posted a note on the Leonids from far
west Texas.Skies were clear here as we came to peak on
the morning of the Nov.19 with limiting magnitude of
about 4.5. I observed a  nice out burst of Leonids
between 10:35UT to 10:50UT and a smaller out burst
between 11:45UT to 12:10UT.On the out burst at the
peak I was seeing 5 to 6 meteor at a time going
different directions off the Leonid radiant.I thought
the peak was very nice just did not have as many
fireball as last year but I thought this peak was
still amazing.No luck on 35mm, out of 48 frame I
recorded zero meteors. On my video camera I lucked out
with 8 Leonids,1 Northern Apex and a single
spordic.The best was a Leonid at 8:49 UT a fireball of
magnitude -10.4.This video can be found at
spaceweather.com of the Leonid gallery page 3.Also
recorded two Leonids coming in together which I
thought was cool.I had one of my video cameras short
out in the cold and a time stamp that would not set to
correct date but besides these problems it was well
worth it.Over all I was not disappointed with this
years storm.To see two meteor storms in a life time I
just can't complain.Also someome had a posting I saw
on Meteorobs about a glowing in the southeast sky on
the morning of the peak this was zodiacal light.The
week leading up to the Leonid peak I observed some of
the brightest zodiacial lights I think I have ever
seen.I even sent an e-mail to Jim Gamble at the El
Paso all sky camera asking him if he had noticed them
too.
Well on to the Geminids hoping for more fireballs.
Stars in your eyes
Best Regards
Thomas Dorman
Far West Texas Sky Watcher