[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Thankyou Bert for that confirm

Debbie:
Though some people question whether you saw "Northern Lights", if it was coming
in waves it was aurora.  Though most auroral activity is centered in the North
it can deviate from that considerably.  I suspect that if the moon were not
present you would have been able to see that these waves were backed up by
faint rays extending up from the horizon.  Aurorae have many forms  and during
a strong display all will show up at some time during the display.  After you
have seen a few displays you will be quick to recognize aurora as it is
developing in its early stages.  Two other forms which may be dismissed as
clouds are luminous patches that often precede a good display and a colorful
sky glow above the horizon that may be dismissed as city lights. A big display
will cover much of the sky extending far to the south leaving you feeling like
you are in a hugh teepee with the peak near the zenith. The waves will all be
moving toward this peak,  even those from the south.  When I was a boy in Ohio
I saw many displays though no one around me ever saw any.  They are most common
during solar maxima but may occur any time that the sun is active.  They are
produced by solar winds interacting with the earths magnetic field.