[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) MNRAS

>Do you mean that for the trail to exist so far behind the comet a long
time must have past since the >ejection of the particles or the original
dispersion was so high that the density of the trail is
>very low?
>
>Daniel

If there has been very meny revolutions, the mean anomaly factor fM
('stretching' compared to one revolution situation) is quite small,
typically approximately 1/orbit-number (a strong execption to this can
make the resonant meteors, but these (if in the same resonance) are
typicaly not far from the comet). On the other hand, if the orbit number
is small, and we look at a trail section far away behind the comet, then
the original delta-a must be big. Then there are originally (in that
location of the trail) not very much meteoroids capable of producing
visual meteors. There may be possibly a very big number of much smaller
particles.

Esko