[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Update: A meteorite fall in Estonia?

This is the most recent information regarding a
fireball observed from Estonia (and Sweden and
Norway):

------------------ Forward Message -----------------
[meteorite-list] A meteorite fall in Estonia?
Tõnu Pani <tpani@ut.ee>
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:20:05 +0200

Hallo all!
As quite often in the newspapers, there is something
not correct.

At moment Reet Tiirmaa and Ülo Kestlane from Tallinn
are collecting the reports of eyewitnesses on Saaremaa
and Vilsandi.

There was a fireball over western part of Estonia. It
was witnessed from small island Vilsandi, off the west
coast of bigger island Saaremaa /in the old German
literature and maps also as Oesel/.
58.23N, 21.49E
    http://www.atlas.ibs.ee

A very brigt fireball was seen 20. Nov. 2002,
12.30GMT
The fireball was seen during 7-8 sec in clear sky
(sunshine)  from SE to NW
The very loud thunder-like noise followed ca 1,5 min
later.
***
In addition to this in the newspaper was also, that a
meteorite ca 2-3 kg fell into sea and so one of the
witnesses lost 300 000 USD

Tõnu Pani

> This sighting occurred the day after the Norway
event:

settlement

<http://www.presscenter.ru/index.php?subj=0&ch=1&id=176985>