[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: What was Radiant in Ursa Major?

Paulo and All,

The apex meteors are most likely produced by unknown comets. They are
post perihelion particles traveling in a retrograde orbit. This is not a
meteor shower or a distinct radiant per se. Rather it is an area of the
sky that produces more than the average amount of random sporadic
activity. The centers of activity are located 15 degrees above and below
the ecliptic, 90 degrees west of the sun. They are mentioned in my
weekly meteor outlooks so that we may someday be able to determine how
much of the sporadic activity is actually produced by this source.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford