[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Fireball 8-10 PM EST 11/19/02 over Michigan?

One good place, in my opinion, to look for fireball
reports (primarily but not exclusively North America)
is this (Shhh!) U - F - O web site, as soon as it's
updated to later than Nov. 15:

http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/ndxevent.html

There are *many* reports of fireballs there, so many
that I consider it a good source, as well as
interesting reading.  One thing to know is that some
terms that people apply to fireballs are "sphere"
and "oval" and "teardrop", etc.  So you have to do a
bit of interpretation at times.  The larger the
fireball, the more reports there are, of course --
e.g., a couple that were seen over the USA Great
Plains and Rocky Mountain states, and the one over
the mid-atlantic states a year or two ago.

Also on that site are quite a few reports of
re-entries, Vandenberg (and even submarine) missile
launches, satellite passes, etc.

It's important to know that most of the reports are
by ordinary folks.  They frequently don't know what
to make of what it was that they saw and thus
describe them in surprising and even mystifying
ways.  But on the other hand quite a few of the
fireball reports are recognized as such, often with
some comment like "But I've never seen anything
like it before in my life!"

So anyway, once it's updated to November 19, I
recommend looking there for reports from Michigan
and maybe Wisconsin, Indiana, Ontario, etc.

Thank you Joe Rao for the funny forecast!

Thank you very much to Lew and the list elves
for the Meteorobs mailing list!  (I've been reading
it since 1996, I think.  What a wonderful resource!)

And, to whom it may concern:  Happy Thanksgiving!

Ed Cannon - ecannon @ mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA