[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteors and stars

A while back Mark Fox also wrote:

> Although a starry topic may seem slightly "O.T.," I think stars are so
entwined with meteor observing that they make up a necessary aspect of
meteor science rather than an unrelated subject matter set aside for star
gazers and trained telescopes.  If the latter were so, picture how difficult
meteor hunting would be if observers ignored the use of stars!

    Now here is a man after my own heart. To me one of the most wonderful
benefits of visual meteor observing is that when you're not observing
meteors, you're still observing. Indeed, I've compared meteor watching to
fishing, especially with company: one can enjoy the wait so much, and the
fish stories, that the fish themselves are almost a bonus. There is much in
the sky to be appreciated with the naked eye: constellations and asterisms,
the subtle motions of the planets, a number of deep sky objects, the
fabulous edge-on galaxy we call the Milky Way.

    There is even a little science that can be done.

    I've been observing the Perseids and other major showers for a dozen
years, but recently my meteor program has broadened for personal and
professional reasons. When I took on my current job with the Sky Scan
Science Awareness Project, which detects meteors by radio, I decided to get
more serious about visual meteor observing as well. I wanted to have a sense
of the character of each shower, as well as try to match times of observed
meteors with radio spikes. Observing in a suburban backyard during thin
showers such as the Lyrids, eta Aquarids, and south delta Aquarids left long
intervals between fish. I cast about for another challenge to keep me
occupied.

    A close friend whose own observing opportunities have to be close to
home due to family commitments had reawakened his observing bug with
variable stars. He raves about their accessibility: moderate light
pollution, moonlight, and perpetual twilight are mere inconveniences which
might up the limiting magnitude a bit, but are absolutely no reason to put
the scope away. There is a range of stars accessible to big scopes, small
scopes, binoculars, no optical aid whatever...

    ..and here the penny dropped. Why not learn some of the naked eye
variables, so that I could slip in a few observations during the meteoric
dry spells? (How's that for an oxymoron?) There's a goodly number of
variables brighter than magnitude 5.0 at least near maximum, a fair number
of which I knew already. Betelgeuse, Algol, delta Cephei, beta Lyrae, and
Mira are but a few of the available targets. Learning the comparison stars
in the fields around them is the only slightly tricky part, and good charts
are available online at http://www.aavso.org/ .  (The A scale charts are
appropriate for naked eye obs.)

    So I started to slip in a few variable obs here and there. I am
committed to doing naked eye stars only, as meteors have to come first, but
I have found there is usually no significant conflict. I use a microcassette
recorder in any event, and indeed I find that adding purpose to my evening
keeps me alert. I think it has also sharpened my observing skills, some of
which are useful for my meteor work, such as magnitude estimates. It has
made me (slightly) more disciplined about recording and transcribing my
observations. And improved knowledge of the sky makes me a better observer,
period. So I heartily second Mark's sentiments about the complementary
relationship between meteors and stars.

    I've recently applied to AAVSO for my observing initials (MBR) and am
about to submit my backlog of observations, which they welcome from members
and non-members alike. I was frankly surprised by how few observers seem to
be monitoring the likes of Betelgeuse, and for me to do so will require no
huge amount of effort. Indeed, knowing how bright it is will be valuable
information when a bright meteor zips by the Armpit's vicinity.

    I suspect that there may be other visual observers among this
knowledgeable group who may also be so inclined. Or perhaps you have a
different naked eye observing project which compliments your meteor program
that you'd like to share. If not, maybe there's an idea here which you might
want to follow up.

    regards, Bruce

Follow-Ups: References: