[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors and stars (and satellites and wildlife and weather and...)

Bruce McCurdy writes:
> I suspect that there may be other visual observers among
> this knowledgeable group who may also be so inclined. Or
> perhaps you have a different naked eye observing project
> which complements your meteor program you'd like to share.

Bruce, thanks for sharing your dual passions for meteor obs-
serving and variable stars with the list! I agree with the
posters on this thread, learning and enjoying the naked-eye
sky is one of the greatest benefits of meteor watching - up
there with doing the science, fireballs, trains, those rare
earth grazers and point meteors, and enjoying major showers.

I have known other observers who pursued naked-eye variable
observation along with meteor work. Other complementary obs-
erving projects I've heard of: artificial satellite watching,
naked-eye nova searches in the Milky Way (you need to REALLY
get to know the sky to do these), bird sounds (observing and
recording - I believe our own Rob McNaught is an expert in
this area?), and of course the observing project that we're
all forced to do in tandem with meteors: weather watching!

I would also be interested in hearing from other readers,
what projects they have added into their meteor programs.
After all, we still have the excitement of the Geminids,
Ursid, and Quadrantid peaks to look forward to - but for
us above the Equator, the long, slow, cold nights of the
Winter Meteor Doldrums are now just over a month away...

Clear skies and wide-eyed nights, all!
Lew Gramer