[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) correction

10 UT is somewhere in the middle of the peak activity observed for the Geminids over the last decade. Durig this time the Geminids did not show a sharp peak, but a more elongated maximum, where the ZHR would be above 100 for several hours.

After the 'peak' the Geminids tend to get brighter.

As far as Europe is concerned this year: the moon will be up during the first part of the night. After the moon sets, the radiant will descend. All the time the ZHR value will be rising. This combined will result in a steady increase in visible meteors after the sun sets, a shaper increase after the moon sets. Then the visible rate will remain nearly constant till the start of twilight, when there is a fast drop in visible rates.

The next night (14/15) the moon will be up longer and the ZHR is going down. But maybe there is a small chance to catch some of the post peak bright meteors before midnight. And overall rates will still be far above a normal night.

Daniel