[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Speed of Meteors

David,

from NAMN Observing Guide Chapt 2

b) VELOCITY - Each meteor shower produces meteors that are all close to the
same velocity. The velocity of a meteor is dependent not only on its own
velocity, but also that of our planet as it moves through space. You can use
a scale of 1 - 5 to assign velocity to a meteor. Very slow (visible for
several seconds) would be assigned a 1, slow a 2, 3 for medium velocity
meteors, 4 for a rather fast one with a meteor head visible and 5 for those
moving very fast, just leaving streaks with no visible head.

The meteoriod stream is moving thru space as well.

Joseph
SAn Diego, CA

: