[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Another handful of Gems

It took me 30 minutes to count 5 more meteors, this time from the inner
yard of our apartment block.  Limiting magnitude was of the same order
as one hour before (4.2-4.3m), so I was surprised to see almost 5 times
less activity compared to the first interval.  Maybe that was just a
fluctuation, so don't expect to see 800 meteors in this one night!

I used $15 Konus stopwatch with 10 memories (actually bought for
asteroid occultations timing).  Clock was started with the sixth radio
beep at 3:00 MSK (0:00 UT).  It logs the intervals between the events -
not the absolute values - so you've got to do some maths afterwards.

Period start: 0:05 UT
Period stop:  0:35 UT
Meteors counted:
1. 0:05:52
2. 0:08:13
3. 0:11:57
4. 0:18:45
5. 0:35:06

The meteors I saw this time were dimmer, +2 or +3, including one almost
stationary to the left from the radiant.

By the way, I thought one can use another device for recording
magnitudes of meteors, namely mobile phone (though maybe not at -17C
%-[)!  Mine allows to "type" up to 30 digits.  I guess after that one
can "call" this "number" for a second to store it in the memory.
Depending on the model you can store 10 or several dozen last numbers
dialed.  The problem with negative magnitudes can be solved by using '*'
instead of '-'.

Have a good time observing this year's Geminids (and Ursids)!

Denis in Moscow
+7-916-5648282

PS I can not temporarily read the mail which is sent to the address in
the "from" field, and meteorobs archives at http://www.meteorobs.org are
not well up to date (they stop at post 26835 from Dec. 2).  Is there any
other site to see last messages on the web?  If you know, please contact
me privately at 5648282@mail.ru