[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Geminids slight chance in Florida

Last night was no go anywhere in Florida.  Now 836 PM local, watching an
elongated break in the Gulf of Mexico on the southern side of jet-stream
clouds.  The narrow axis of the jet stream is coming across at Tampa, about
a hundred miles north of me.  Movement of the gap should bring it here in
about 5 hours if it doesn't fill in.  That's my only chance for Geminids
this time around.

Bob's rates from California look fairly typical for him on the night before
max -- a period of mostly faint meteors which he doesn't do too well at.  He
is strong with brighter meteors.  On that night I typically see 35-40/hour
for Geminids.

 I was really hoping to see the max this year to find out if the shower has
started a decrease in peak strength.  Last year I saw only 60/hour top
despite LM 7.0 sky, the best conditions of anyone watching in 2001.  Plus
there were no outlandish rates reported from anywhere else.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society