[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids from East Central GA

       The day started with rain, lots of rain, but thankfully it did end with a meteor shower.  The rain ended and amazingly, by dark, things were clearing out very nicely here.  I cautiously gathered my gear and headed for my site.  A few clouds began moving through around 10:00 local time and by 11:30 the skies began alternating between 0% to 70% cloudy.  It was impossible to gauge the "F" so I put away my recorder, hoping things would clear out completely.  It never did.
       But, wow, those geminids were active!  Even with the moon and clouds, I had a raw count of 84 Geminds between 10:35 and 1:05.  From 12:00 to 1:00 I counted 45.  But as the moon got lower the clouds increased and after 2:00 I was very limited in what I was able to see.  The Geminids were not too bright, with only a handful in the -2 to +1 range.  They were not too colorful, either. The clouds took over and  I finally called it quits at 3:00 and went home for a "nap."
        In a way, it was nice just to lie back and watch and not worry with magnitudes, times and star counts.

Kim Youmans